Monday 5 July 2010

If You Go Down to the Woods Today.....

After my visit to the woods last week I posted a shot of an orchid which I had not seen there before.  Today I went back on my bike and to give the dogs a run, imagine my surprise and delight to to find this white orchid!  Later, almost back at the car I found a clump of the lilac variety.  Even better!


Common Spotted Orchid  Dactylorhiza fuchsii


On the ride I saw these trees, the lower branches dead and bleached but revealed by some recent thinning.  I couldn't decide which I preferred, the harder contrasty top shot or the softer bottom one.  So you have both!  Looking at them again, I think I prefer the harder one.....



11 comments:

  1. I prefer the harder contrasty one, but it's very generous of you to let us have both :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. top one. Until recently I knew absolutely nothing about wild flowers - thanks Jon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. such a gorgeous orchid, nothing common about it to me. I like the first shot simply because I can not see the green of the other tree, makes it more striking for some reason and really wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. cool - permanently frosty

    ReplyDelete
  5. The trees look weird - I wonder what happened. I think the top photo's more striking, without the green. The orchid is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like 'em all......don't make me choose!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The top one for me too, and that orchid is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those orchids are gorgeous. And the pines--haunting. I like both shots. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The scene is really beautiful.

    Your photography is splendid.

    Thank you for showing a wonderful moment...

    From the Far East.
    Greetings.
    ruma

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd have to go with the top one because of its feathery softness and lack of green. I love that orchid. Hard to believe it's wild.

    ReplyDelete